Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Time to Change

I am determined to end my hoarding ways. But it's going to be hard. I hate to throw anything out unless I'm absolutely sure I'll never have any use for it, and one thing about being a journalist and teaching a writing class is that there's always a chance that this book or that newspaper clipping will come in handy.

Now that I've been laid off, it's even more crucial that my apartment be a place where I can work and relax without clutter holding me back. And I've been single for a long time, so I think it's time I make room in my life for someone else, physically and emotionally. That means I'll be chronically my anti-hoarding journey here -- and hopefully not using my computer as an excuse not to get my life in order. Here goes ...

The biggest thing I seem to accumulate is paper, not surprising given my job. I try to print only what I need to, not only to be green but because once I have a print-out in front of me it becomes one more thing that clutters up my life.

So paper be gone! Tonight I'm throwing out two pages of a Mediabistro job listing from April 2004. A website called Pulpsyndicate.com was seeking articles and columns, and you never know. Six years later, what are the odds it's still around?

No comments:

Post a Comment