Friday, September 30, 2011

Times Gone By

I should throw out the pages of this old New York Times Book Review from 1990!

But I can't do it without noting that I wrote down, in red ink, three sets of numbers above a full-age ad for the Folio Society offering their seven-volume Jane Austen set:

031302955/83114424/1087

I have no idea what they mean but I thought they might be noting.

Atop another page I've written "Nov. 23, 3:12, 610-434-3661." Another mystery. A voice-mail message? I didn't get anything when I googled the number.

It's interesting, though, that the hardest things to throw away tend to be the things I've kept the longest, even if they're rather useless. For example, there are pages from an April 1992 issue of Parade that I still have because they're attached to an article about bartering. Not sure if I wanted to do an article on it or try to do some bartering of my own to save money. (In those pre-eBay days I was trying to think of something I could do to save money.)

Attached to it is part of an article in which young people were asked their thoughts on gays and lesbians. Nice to see how progressive most of them were...reading it now I'm not surprised at how much better things have gotten in the 20 years since.

No comments:

Post a Comment